Well, it has been exactly a month (an extremely busy month) since we officially released RootsMagic 4, so I thought it might be a good idea to let you know what we are up to.
Of course our number one priority right now is fixing bugs which have been reported. Please keep in mind that RootsMagic 4 is a complete rewrite and we are working full time squashing bugs as they are reported. We are fixing the most major bugs first and will continue until we get them all. Don’t worry if your pet bug isn’t fixed in the next update, it doesn’t mean we aren’t going to fix it. Those of you who have been with us for a long time know how hard we work to make things right, and RootsMagic 4 is no exception. We plan to release the next update in the next week or two, so please keep an eye out for that. And now that things are starting to settle down just a little bit, we will try harder to keep you up to date with what we are up to here on the blog.
As you might imagine, we are getting a lot of emails (questions, bug reports, etc.). We are trying to answer them as quickly as possible. If you have submitted a bug report through our support system (http://support.rootsmagic.com) or on our message boards, please be assured that we have seen it and will be working on it even if you don’t hear back from the programmers right away on it. Bug reports are always forwarded to us programmers, but we are spending so many hours working to improve RootsMagic 4 that we often get behind (sometimes way behind) on our emails.
The Most Common Questions Support is Receiving
- Why can’t RootsMagic 4 find my version 3 database? – If you are running Vista and had your RM3 files in the RootsMagic program folder, then Vista is hiding those files from RootsMagic 4. Here is a knowledge base article on this problem and how to get around it.
- Why can’t I log into New FamilySearch? – New FamilySearch is a brand new system that is being rolled out in phases, and isn’t available to everyone yet (including many LDS church members). As it becomes more stable it will be opened up to everyone (whether LDS or not).
- When will the RootsMagic 4 book be available? – If I had to guess I would say in about 3 months (I should know better than to guess at a release date, but I just can’t help myself ).
- Why haven’t I gotten my CD yet? – CDs began shipping this week. We had that on the main order page, but forgot to update the generic confirmation email to say that.
- Numerous feature requests – We have received a ton of feature requests, many new, and a few for features which were in version 3 but are missing from version 4. While our main focus right now is fixing bugs, we will also be working on some of these feature requests as time permits, and they will be included in the free updates as well.
Of course there are many, many other questions that we are receiving, and many of them are answered in our knowledge base at http://support.rootsmagic.com.
A Word of Thanks
And finally I would like to thank all our great users for their support. This has been the busiest month in our company’s history, in sales, support requests, hours spent programming, everything. We knew coming in that with a complete rewrite there would be some growing pains, but based on the reviews and comments RootsMagic 4 has been receiving we know that we are on the right track.
“Probably the best all-around genealogy program, RootsMagic offers a winning combination of features for both casual and serious genealogists.” – Family Tree Magazine, July 2009