Join the RootsMagic 8 Community Preview!


With a new year comes a new release. We are excited to present the RootsMagic 8 Community Preview!

Now, you may be asking yourself- “What is a community preview?”

Basically, it is pre-release software. RootsMagic 8 has already been through extensive development and testing, but there is still some “spit n’ polish” before we are ready to officially release it. The Community Preview is a chance for us to get feedback from a larger group of testers and a chance for you to get acquainted with the software early.

As we are expecting a lot of feedback as we open the floodgates, we respectfully ask that you please do not contact our technical support regarding the preview. Our technicians are still becoming acquainted with the software themselves and are unable to offer any help with it until it is officially released.

In the meantime, we’ve set up a new special Facebook group just for users to discuss the preview with others. We’ve also made a special feedback form to send in any errors, bugs, or suggestions.

Do you still have questions? Check out our Frequently-asked questions for important answers to common questions.

Are you ready to take RootsMagic 8 for an early spin? Get the RootsMagic 8 Community Preview today!



RootsMagic 7 Now Available for macOS 11 (Big Sur)

RootsMagic Now Available for MacOS 11 Big Sur

We are pleased to announce that RootsMagic 7 is now available for Apple computers running macOS 11 Big Sur. When Big Sur was released last month, it made some changes that broke the wrapper that allowed RootsMagic to run on macOS. While users with previous version of macOS could still use RootsMagic, users who had upgraded to Big Sur found that RootsMagic (and many other software applications) stopped working.

After much work and testing, the wrapper for RootsMagic 7 has been updated to run on Big Sur, as well as prior versions of macOS.

Users who installed a previous version of RootsMagic 7 on their Mac should uninstall RootsMagic before installing the new wrapper. Full instructions are found here.

Those users that are installing RootsMagic 7 on their Mac for the first time may download it here.

RootsMagic 8

In addition to the updated wrapper for RootsMagic 7, we are hard at work finishing up RootsMagic 8.  Version 8 is a fully-native, 64-bit macOS application and runs great on macOS Big Sur. Keep watching for more news about RootsMagic 8.

The Road to RootsMagic 8: More to Preview

We’ve been so busy working on RootsMagic 8 that we’ve neglected to post any updates on our progress over the last few weeks. While we’ve been sharing videos and tidbits via email and social media, we realized that we needed to pull these recent updates into one place to better communicate with all of our users.

The Testing Continues

We have many users who have been using RootsMagic 8, reporting bugs, and giving suggestions. In order to start testing the software, a user first agrees not to disclose to others about their experience or even that they are a tester. So for those that aren’t testing, it feels like everything is very quiet in regards to RootsMagic 8 while those that are testing are actually very busy and active. We gradually add more users to our testing pool so as not to overwhelm the process. Many of you have already volunteered to test the software and- if you aren’t already doing so- we hope to give you the opportunity soon.

Video Previews Galore

We’ve also been posting video previews of RootsMagic 8 onto our YouTube Channel. If by chance, you’ve missed them- then you’ll definitely want to check these out:

RootsMagic 8 Preview – People Page

RootsMagic 8: Work-in-Progress Preview

RootsMagic 8 Preview – Mapping

RootsMagic 8 Preview – Edit Screen

And our latest video:
RootsMagic 8 Preview – Reports, Charts, Publish & Search

We hope you enjoy these video previews of what is to come in RootsMagic 8. Thank you for your patience as we work hard with our testers to make this our best version of RootsMagic yet.

Previous Articles

RootsMagic 7 Now Available for macOS 10.15 (Catalina)

RootsTech 2020: Classes and Discounts (and Something for Those at Home, too)

The Road to RootsMagic 8: An Important Update

The Road to RootsMagic 8 (Part 6): Multiple Files and Screens

Important Information about macOS 10.15 (Catalina)

The Road to RootsMagic 8 (Part 5): Files

The Road to RootsMagic 8 (Part 4): Home