The Road to RootsMagic 8 (Part 2): FAQ about the Upgrade


Last week, we gave you a first look at RootsMagic 8. While we’re itching to start showing you more details and features, last week’s article prompted many questions about RootsMagic and the upgrade process. We felt it would be helpful to answer some of the questions for you before showing you more features. So without any further ado, here they are:

I already own RootsMagic 7 (or 6, or 5, or 4, etc.). Will I need to buy RootsMagic 8 when it comes out?

Yes, but at a discounted price. Our policy has always been to make updates free. That is, going from 7.0 to 7.1, to 7.2, to 7.3, etc. We put those out regularly to fix bugs, update API’s, and to even add new features (Our TreeShare for Ancestry was a free new feature in 7.5).

Major upgrades, such as going from 7.0 to 8.0, do require a purchase. However, we always offer a significant discount to those upgrading from previous versions. For example, to upgrade from any prior version of RootsMagic to version 7 has been $19.95 where the full price of the software is $29.95.

Do I have to upgrade to RootsMagic 8?

Not at all. If the new features and functionality in RootsMagic 8 appeal to you, we’d love for you to upgrade. If you decide to stick with your current version of RootsMagic, your software will continue running just as it has. It will simply not have any more updates as our development work has moved on to the next version.

How much will RootsMagic 8 cost?

Version 8 will have a modest price increase from earlier versions. While we haven’t announced the actual pricing for RootsMagic 8, it will be more than version 7. RootsMagic 8 will have a discount for users of previous versions upgrading to it, but this will be modestly higher than the current $19.95 upgrade price for version 7.

So if I buy RootsMagic 7 now, I get RootsMagic 8 for free?

Yes. We have always had an “upgrade protection guarantee.” If you buy our software and a newer version comes out soon afterward, you get the newer version for free. I’ve personally spent a sizable sum of money on software only to have a new version come out the very next day. That company’s response was, “You’re out of luck.” We love our users too much to do that.

If you buy RootsMagic 7 now through our website (either the full version or upgrade), you will receive an email with your key for RootsMagic 7. You’ll also immediately receive a key for RootsMagic 8. Just hold onto that key until you get word that RootsMagic 8 has been officially released. This means that you are essentially getting a free RootsMagic 8 at today’s RootsMagic 7 prices.


I already have RootsMagic 7. Can I still get a free RootsMagic 8?

Yes. Even if you already have RootsMagic 7, you are welcome to purchase another copy of RootsMagic 7 (even at the $19.95 upgrade price), and you will get your key for RootsMagic 8.

Wait- you want me to pay money now for a future RootsMagic that I may not even like? Is this some tricky money grab?

You would indeed be getting an upgrade to Version 8 that you don’t (yet) know much about. (But, really- we think you’ll love it) But this is definitely not a money grab. In fact, we are losing money by giving away RootsMagic 8 upgrades at the lower price. So why are we doing this?

We haven’t raised our software price in the nearly 20 years that RootsMagic has been available. All-around costs have risen in those years, and we need to follow suit. However, we also know that we have many users that live on fixed-incomes. We didn’t want to surprise everyone with the price increase without giving a heads-up and giving our users a chance to make appropriate plans.

Combine this with the upgrade protection guarantee, and the “Buy RootsMagic 7 now, get RootsMagic 8 free” policy is the natural result. It’s only us trying to do right by our users.

I’ve placed my order and received my RootsMagic 8 key. What do I do now?

Just hold on to that key and patiently wait for the official release. You could also sign up to become a tester at


More Previews to Come

Hopefully, we’ve answered some of those burning questions that many of you have had about the upgrade process to version 8.  And watch this blog for regular articles describing the fantastic new features in RootsMagic 8!

Next: The Road to RootsMagic 8 (Part 3): Getting Around




29 thoughts to “The Road to RootsMagic 8 (Part 2): FAQ about the Upgrade”

  1. I believe Pat has the right idea – $49.99 Full and $29.99 Upgrade, with the 20% off for 1st year.
    The RootsMagic programme is worth every penny!!

  2. I sure hope that al the access voliations that pop up and make you log out and come back in that #7 have will be fixed

  3. I ordered the upgrade (CD) will I get V8 CD

    Reply: The Upgrade Protection Guarantee in effect is for a free RM8 key and download only. No CD will be mailed later.
    Renee, RootsMagic

  4. I don’t mind to pay arround 20 euros to have the 8th version of roots magic. I think it’s fair.

  5. Okay, so am I reading this correctly… that even though I have updated and upgraded each time the notice is posted, the version 8 will still cost me.
    If I already have Roots 7, why do I need to buy a second Roots 7 to get a discount on the Roots 8. Is “8” compatible with my current Roots 7; and when I purchase the “8” upgrade what happens to my current Roots 7. (Will “8” be automatically uploaded)
    Thanks…I’m not a computer savvy individual so I need “very simple elementary” explanations.

    Reply: You can wait to purchase RootsMagic 8 when it is released. The upgrade and full price for both will also increase. If you want the current upgrade price of $19.95 purchasing RM7 and getting the RM8 key for free with it is a better option. If you already have RM7 installed you do not need to reinstall it again. Just hold onto the RM8 key for when it is released. Then you download and install RM8 when available.
    Renee, RootsMagic

  6. I don’t like all the garish colour shown in the screen shot above. Can it be turned off or toned down?

  7. It would be SO MUCH EASIER for me if in the relationship calculator I could see all the names. I was looking at the relationship between me and my 8th great grandfather… and I could not remember how to get there myself easily which is why I went to the relationship calculator to start with.

  8. I am a current owner of RM 7 and am confused how purchasing a new license for RM 7 now is cheaper than waiting and just buying an upgrade to RM 8. There are only two ways that I can guess this might be possible.

    (1) The upgrade cost to RM 8 is greater than the cost of a RM 7 license. This case would imply an increase of more than 50% over the current upgrade charges ($19.95 to over 29.95) which seems to be more than a “modest” increase in price previously mentioned.

    (2) What we are supposed to buy now is an upgrade from RM 7 to RM 7 at $19.95. This would make sense to me, but after going through all the blogs and comments I cannot find any statement that explicitly states, or even infers this is the suggested path we should take. In fact, some of the comments imply this is purchasing a second license and not a second upgrade.

    Can someone fix this confusion?

    Reply: You can wait to purchase RootsMagic 8 when it is released. Current pricing is $19.95 for an upgrade (existing users) and $29.95 full price (new users). The upgrade and full price for both will increase when RM8 is released. If you want the current upgrade price of $19.95 purchasing RM7 and getting the RM8 key for free with it is a better option. If you already have RM7 installed you do not need to reinstall it again. Just hold onto the RM8 key for when it is released. Then you download and install RM8 when available.
    Renee, RootsMagic

  9. I purchased rootsmagic almost a year ago under this same deal. I have had a rootsmagic key since November 2018 and I am still waiting for the release of rootsmagic 8.

    This is starting to feel like a scam!

  10. Instead of selling a 2nd copy of Version 7 and guaranteeing that customers will receive the Version 8 for free, why not take pre-orders for all of the customers who have Version 7 already at a discounted price.
    Carla Deville

  11. Maybe this will help.
    version 7 1st time purchase: $29.95
    Version 7 upgrade price: $19.95
    Version 8 1st time purchase: MORE than $30
    Version 8 key (includes a v7) right now $19.95
    Version 8 upgrade price if I wait: MORE than $20
    YES, I can wait to purchase V8 but it will cost MORE.
    NO, I do not need to upgrade to V8.

  12. TI agree with Carla Deville # 13. Why not just give those of us who have version 7 an upgrade price, such as Pat # 2 suggested $29.99 upgrade, or $49.99 full price? I realize, and it’s a shame, but we’ve become a throw away society! If we already have version 7 why buy another one just to toss it out? Furthermore maybe some of us want an actual disc as opposed to downloading with a key!

  13. The current “buy V7 now, free upgrade to 8 later” allows them to take some cash now and recognize revenue in their accounts in 2019 rather than 2020 when the expected upgrade program begins.
    You might think it is a scam or you might take the view that they have bills to pay in 2019 and if they crash and burn now, then we won’t get V8 at all.

  14. Thinking seriously about applying to become a tester. Is the interface with Ancestry working sufficiently to attract me?

  15. I’m looking forward to RM8; however, I’m not happy about how you are treating repeat customers such as myself and hundreds of others. The answer to the question about upgrading by purchasing RM7 to get RM8 doesn’t ring right. I too, along with said hundreds of other clients, have purchased each new upgrade at lower prices. But this “gimmick” of repaying for a version we already purchased in order to get the newer version is ridiculous! I understand the need to increase costs – it happens . . . costs do go up, and you have the need to keep current with technology and competitors. If you would have announced that current users of RM7 will get a discount for the upgrade to RM8, I believe you wouldn’t have received the grief you’re getting now, and you would have achieved the results you wanted. I’ll certainly purchase the upgrade to RM8, but will always feel that you’ve been deceptive about your explanation and may conduct due diligence work on your online competitors.
    Is the loss of loyal clients worth the grief and potential loss of revenue? Please rethink the decision to require existing clients to repurchase RM7 to get the new upgrade. All that was needed to be said is: “Existing RM7 users will be able to upgrade to RM8 at the discounted or upgrade price of $19.95.”

  16. Will you be publishing a handbook (hard copy)? If so how can I get one.

    Reply: This hasn’t been announced yet.
    Renee, RootsMagic

  17. I also have 7 and can use on other computers when I travel woll I be able to do that with 8?

    Reply: Your RootsMagic license allows you to install the program on every computer in your household. Just use the same registration information. It has not be announced if this policy will change with RM8 so plan on one for now.
    Renee, RootsMagic

  18. I have to say, that of all the avenues that you could have taken to allow current users of RootsMagic 7 to get RootsMagic 8 at the current price, you have taken probably the MOST CONFUSING an the one most likely to make people reduce their trust in your company. First of all, as mentioned in some comments, the 7 to 8 guarantee has been going on for about a year, now you are telling users of 7 to buy 7 again (or at least an upgrade) to get the key for 8 basically at the 7 upgrade/purchase price, but still have no date on when 8 will be available.

    This current route, at least as presented really does make me feel like I am purchasing something that I already have, which makes me wonder about how your company is being run, at least your marketing department and the fact that when the questions come up on this feeling, all you do is REPEAT THE SAME LINE! That is not good customer service.

    What you are really telling everyone to do, is to PURCHASE the Upgrade to 8 NOW by purchasing an upgrade to version 7 and ignore the download of 7. Once purchase is complete, the key for 8 will be provided, what was purchased with the remaining part of the product coming when released.

    I sure hope that the release of 8 is soon as if you wait too long (beyond the end of the year) you will lose more money having to deal with the request for those who cannot find their key.

  19. As there are less than 4 months left of this year, might we see V8 before 2020?

    9 months is not exactly close to a new release….

    “….RootsMagic 8 is expected to be released in 2019. Since you have purchased RootsMagic 7 so close to the new release, we are pleased to give you a complimentary download of RootsMagic 8, once it is available. When it is officially released, you may download the software from our website….”

  20. Can/Will Roots Magic 7 data automatically be transferred to RM 8 with purchase of RM 8?

    Thank you.

    Reply: When RM8 is released you will need to download and install it. It has not been announced yet if it will need to be direct imported or opened from inside RM to move your database. Nothing is automated in the sense your not aware of what is taking place.
    Renee, RootsMagic

  21. It is very upsetting to me to see some words that our supposed friendly users are using in their comments: SCAM, MONEY GRABBING, and OTHERS.
    I have been doing business with Bruce BUZBEE, since ROOTS MAGIC was FAMILY ORIGINS. This was so far back, that Bruce answered the phone – there was no one else to take cake care of the administrative part of Bruce’s endeavor. Today, I still find Bruce and his ‘thing’ to be the best Genealogy Program that I know of; it was created by a great, helpful, and HONEST team.

  22. Not sure why there is so much confusion about buying RM7 and then getting RM8 for free. I have taken advantage of a similar deal in the past and RM did exactly what they said they would do. I have no problem taking advantage of this deal. It sounds like a very good deal to me. RM is a great company with a marvelous product. There is no reason to question their integrity. They have my support 100%.

  23. For those that already own RM 7, just think of it as a preorder at a price that is less than what you will pay if you don’t preorder. For those who don’t have 7, you get the bonus of using 7 until 8 comes out.

  24. Question 26 is of upmost importance to me. MacOS Catalina is expected to be released “in October 2019”, October ends in TEN DAYS. And RootsMagic 7 is still showing errors stating it will not work on Catalina because it is a 32-bit program. I will repeat Question 25’s question: Will RootsMagic 8 be a 64-bit program? Will it be available when Catalina is? Or do we have to either NOT install Catalina for “some time” or NOT use RootsMagic on MacOS? Has anyone tested to see if RootsMagic 7 (as it currently is provided with its latest update) will WORK on Catalina Beta? Thank you for your attention.

    Yes I see that I said that wrong: October BEGINS in 10 days.

    Reply: CrossOver is working on a 64-bit wrapper for RM7. They are advising their users to not upgrade to Catalina until the CrossOver update is available. RootsMagic development will make sure RM8 meets Apple’s requirements.
    Renee, RootsMagic

  25. Come on everybody, let’s be done with the whining and unwarranted suspicions. While there are bad actors in the business world, Roots Magic is certainly not one of them. To the contrary, I believe their primary purpose is to be of service to their customers. Please calm down and carefully consider what’s on offer here regarding RM8. It’s simply this:

    If you don’t have a key and want to own RootsMagic8, you have two choices:

    1. Wait for the RM8 release and buy it at full price.
    2. Upgrade or purchase RM7 now at less than RM8’s full price and you’ll get RM8 for free when it’s released. Don’t fret the details. Trust Roots Magic to do the right thing. They always have.

    In the meantime, we still have the best-in-class genealogy software in the world for the hunt for our ancestors. Love it now and love it more later.

Comments are closed.