We have just released a new update to RootsMagic 4 (version 18.104.22.168). This update includes a new feature which should prove to be very popular… the ability to automatically fix broken media/image links that occur when you move pictures or move your database and media to a new computer.
If you have the RootsMagic News screen come up when you start RootsMagic, it may have already notified you of this update. If not, you can do “Help > Check for Updates” from the RootsMagic menu to download and install this update.
You can also download the update from http://www.rootsmagic.com/download.
Here are the new, fixed, and updated items in this update:
– Added a feature to fix broken media / image links (in the media gallery/album do Tools > Fix broken media links)
– Added the ability to enter Helper mode for another person when using the NFS features
– Added life span (birthyear-deathyear) to parents and children’s spouses in group sheets
– Deleting a fact will now remove the shared copies of that fact instead of leaving phantom witness records (Note: we are still working on a way to delete any pre-existing phanton witness records)
– Edit source screen displays Call# in right panel if one exists
– Shouldn’t sometimes change family in family and descendant view when adding a child
– Double clicking a citation when the citation manager is opened from Explorer now opens Edit Source screen
– Box charts now include prefix and suffix on names
– FTM import now preserves nicknames entered with quotes like William “Bill” Jones
17 thoughts to “RootsMagic 4 Update Released (22.214.171.124)”
The fix broken media links feature is wonderful. It works great! Thanks! This just keeps getting better and better! 🙂
thank you – thank you – thank you.
If ONLY I had WAITED just a little longer. 🙂 but was able to use the ‘Fix broken media link’ on some that I had left to do. It is such a Blessing! again – THANK YOU!
This upgrade will allow some clean-up work that I have to do and make it a lot easier. Thank you for the upgrade. Thank you for the upgrades at no additional charge:). You have made it so easy to install the changes and adding them to Roots Magic to go. That was a great add on the the Roots Magic 4. I use it often. Some of my friends are jealous of this feature 🙂
Thanks for the continued updates and patches – most welcome.
Please can we have the new/modified report to include the new Place Details embedded in the Lists-Place List. Having made use of the new Place Detail feature I can’t make full use of it without the report.
Keep up the good work…
Thanks for the new tool. However, I like Sandie, wish I could have waited. I fixed over 400 broken links just two weeks ago in preperation for a family reunion. History tells us it will be a very useful tool in the future though. As the media files grow there will always be some reorganizing and therefore broken links; so thanks much.
still waiting for RM4 to work with family atlas. 🙁
Can I download the update straight to my thumb drive, or should I go to my desktop (which is at home right now and I’m not a patient person!) first and then use the RM-To-Go feature to transfer to my thumb drive? Also, I haven’t downloaded the 126.96.36.199 update yet … should I do it before I do 188.8.131.52??
I love RM4 … the ToGo/thumb drive feature has been an answer to my prayers!! 🙂
I wish you would add a feature that would allow for the adding of a .pdf or word document when publishing a book rather than merely allowing for a text document. This feature would make Roots Magic Publisher perfect.
Peg, You should download to your desktop and then run RM-To-Go. It will detect that you have a newer version on the desktop and let you install it onto the flash drive.
We are working as fast as possible to get Family Atlas (and Personal Historian) imports in for RM4. RM4 was a total rewrite and uses a completely different database engine so the imports are having to be completely rewritten. The date structure is also completely different and has to be handled. One of our programmers has these imports as his number 1 priority right now.
Hi, brand new, where’s the how-to for dummy’s. Need help badly
Here are a couple of options for now…
1. If you have the CD, there is a 30 minute getting started tutorial on it. We will be putting up free online tutorials on specific subjects in the coming months.
2. If you press the F1 key in RootsMagic it will bring up a full searchable help system with table of contents, index, etc.
3. I am wrapping up the RM4 book (still probably a couple of months off as editing / proofing / etc and printing are done)
Thanks for the fixes, especially the help with broken links in Media Gallery, the fact that the media view now stays maximised if that was the last view and displays the media fitted to screen and also that little suggestive addition alongside Place Details that didn’t get a mention.
As always this program just gets better and better. I really appreciate your work to make my life less complicated….Thank you so very very much
How can I tell if the upgrade took? The pop-up box still reads 4.0
Bradley, do Help > About from the menu and you will see the exact version number.
Wonderful, wonderful update. Thank you
Comments are closed.